There have been some very interesting changes with some property management companies offering discounted letting services and low leasing fees. Property management companies are able to cut costs as they are not showing homes in person. They are employing technology to take the human touch out of screening potential applicants by taking pre-applications. This new system employs what is deemed to be a secure lockbox which allows viewers an access code to look at the home alone. We feel it puts you and your home at risk for the following reasons:
- First impressions count, how can anyone get a feel for potential applicants if they don’t meet them at your home in person.
- The information they supplied to access the home could be someone else’s. Identity theft is one of the largest growing crimes.
- Thieves may use this opportunity to steal from your property. While your rental home may be vacant it still has valuable appliances, fixtures, and fittings.
- The viewers could change the locks while viewing the home and move in, which may mean you as an owner will have to take legal action to evict them.
- Good applicants tend to ask questions during showings, and the realtor is not there.
- Potential applicants may also feel who will be there if something needs fixing.
- Cutting costs is an advantage. However, this one could cause more trouble than it’s worth.
- There is also a possibility of a slip and fall accident claim in your home as no one was there to see what actually happened.
- The viewers may unintentionally leave a window or door unlocked which may cause havoc with your insurance if there is a burglary with no signs of forced entry.
There could be plenty of other reasons not to agree to automated showings of your home. These are the first ones that came to mind.
By Nick McCormack, McCormack Realty & Renter Choice Homes
Serving properties in Kissimmee, Orlando, and Davenport Florida
407 933 2367 or UK 0161-300-9595
Property Rental-Maintenance and Repairs Being a property owner in Kissimmee, Fla. is outstanding even though it does come with maintenance and repairs on your property, yet it does bring up a tremendous set of benefits. You can rent your apartment/home, or...read more
In our three-part property management blog series, we’re talking about selling a home in Kissimmee. In this piece, we’ll discuss finding a qualified and experienced real estate agent. If owning a home in Florida just isn’t practical anymore, you’ll need to...read more
At McCormack Realty & Renters Choice Homes, we can help you sell your home, help you buy a home, or take care of managing your existing property. Today, we’re sharing some reasons why you would want to work with us – apart from us being really nice people.read more
Phone USA: 407 933 2367
Phone UK: 0161 300 9595